Gospel – John 6:51-58
Jesus said to the crowds: “I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.” The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.”
The Catechism of the Catholic Church
1392 What material food produces in our bodily life, Holy Communion wonderfully achieves in our spiritual life. Communion with the flesh of the risen Christ, a flesh “given life and giving life through the Holy Spirit, ”preserves, increases, and renews the life of grace received at Baptism. This growth in Christian life needs the nourishment of Eucharistic Communion, the bread for our pilgrimage until the moment of death, when it will be given to us as viaticum.
1524 In addition to the Anointing of the Sick, the Church offers those who are about to leave this life the Eucharist as viaticum. Communion in the body and blood of Christ, received at this moment of “passing over” to the Father, has a particular significance and importance. It is the seed of eternal life and the power of resurrection, according to the words of the Lord: “He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”The sacrament of Christ once dead and now risen, the Eucharist is here the sacrament of passing over from death to life, from this world to the Father.
From “In Adoration” Testimony of Catalina Rivas (Prologue Pg. 4, Ch. VII: 3-6, Ch. VIII: 29-32)
Prologue Pg. 4 His Holiness Benedict XVI expresses these words to us: “The prime reality of Eucharistic faith is the very mystery of God, Trinitarian love. In the Eucharist, Jesus does not give us “something” but gives us His very self. He offers His body and sheds His blood. Thus He gives up His whole life, by manifesting the original source of this divine love.
3) What a pity for those persons who receive the Lord in a humdrum routine manner, without the wonder of telling Jesus something new, but always using the same tiresome words, or even worse, not saying anything to Him, or feeling anything, as if they were actually receiving just a piece of bread.
4) Jesus said: “How can you possibly be surprised at the laity if the majority of them are scarcely aware of My Presence in the Eucharist, and are just beginning to believe that I am here alive…
5) “How can you possibly be surprised if on many occasions I prove in My own brothers and sisters, that the lessons I have tried to give them through so many Eucharistic Miracles have rolled right off their souls without penetrating them.
6) “How sad it is to see that so many of My own, from the moment of their ordination have still not acquired My Spirit, My feelings, and My plan for life: to rescue human beings through My absolute surrender, to lower Myself to the point of making Myself into bread and to raise them from their lowliness to My Divinity so as to confer on them My own inheritance.
29) “In the life of Saint Anthony of Padua, a surprising event occurred which is known by all. There was a heretic called Guillardo who did not believe in the real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist in spite of the numerous conversions that took place through the preaching of Saint Anthony. This heretic went around confusing people with his errors.
30) “One day, Saint Anthony engaged in a public discussion with Guillardo and the latter was humiliated, not knowing what to reply to the masterful defense made by the Saint. So in order to get out of the matter, he asked the Saint to perform a miracle for the purpose of belief in the Real Presence of the Eucharist, proposing the following to him: ‘I have a mule which I will deprive of food for three days, and if after those days he refuses the food that I will offer him to adore instead the consecrated Host that you present to him and in which you say the substance of Christ truly and really exists, then I will fully embrace the doctrine of the Catholic Church.’
31) “Saint Anthony, moved by God, accepted the proposal and spent those three days in devout prayer and penance. At the end of the third day, Anthony celebrated Holy Mass and then without removing his sacred vestments, he took the Consecrated Host, and accompanied by a crowd of the faithful, he went to the middle of the square. Guillardo took the hungry mule from the stable and placed fodder before it. Then the Saint addressing the mule, said to him: ‘In the name of your Creator, whom I hold in my hands, I order you to prostrate yourself immediately before Him so that heretics will know that the whole of creation is subject to the Lamb that sacrifices Himself on our altars.’
32) “Before the admiration of all those present, the mule who was hungry, completely ignoring his food offered to him by Guillardo, went to the Most Blessed Sacrament held by the Saint and bending his hind legs, remained prostrate and motionless, in an attitude of profound reverence. This event caused the conversion not only of Guillardo but of many heretics who were present at the challenge.
Each week we will be presenting a portion of the following Sunday’s readings, and linking it to relevant parts of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and messages from the Testimony of Catalina. Pay special attention to the italicized underlined sections. This Sunday it is asked, What kind of soil will you be for the word of God? We hope this is inspiring and educational. Any comments you have are certainly welcomed.
Tim Francis prepared this educational program to help you increase your faith and love for the Holy Trinity and our Blessed Mother. His website is http://YouShallBelieve.com
I have known Tim for many years and recommend his work highly. He is a strong advocate for the “The Real Body and Blood Of Jesus” and the numerous miracles that occur on a daily basis. Both of us are greatly 3inspired by the amazing writings of Catalina Rivas. Catalina is one of the few individuals in history who personally experienced the “Stigmata Of Jesus Christ.”